Skip to main content

Expectations and Gay Romance

Most of us have grown up in a very "straight environment". Almost everywhere, everyone around you are talking about the love or any kind of relationship between a man and a woman. I don't remember at my early age, anyone ever talking about "being gay". It was even considered a taboo. Abnormal. At this juncture, when you fall for a guy, then you are supposedly the girl. But that was not the truth.

Every song, every movie, every series, novels and what not is about a guy and a girl. Even with so many "Dos and Don'ts" and "manuals" for dating for the straight couples you see that they some how accept each other for all the flaws and strengths they have. But, what do Gay men have as a means for it?

We all find these tabloids and may be one or two comic gay characters in mainstream media, and most of them are either too dark and pathos or too comic and idealistic. Since we haven't seen a real life gay couple from our childhood, it is rather just an image in our head that we try to make work.

Unrealistic -

When I started dating, my yard scale for dating was that from a hetero-normative viewpoint. why? I haven't seen any other. Even in a dance, it is hard to take roles. most guys I have dated had the same vision and expectation that never would coincide with the gay world. or may be it would, if you are lucky enough.

Too Realistic -

And then I see some who are not ready to dream. They undermine themselves and their self worth to be okay with any kind of men, however abusive and how much ever they cheat. They believe this is the best they can get and they make it a point to be with them.

The Rebels -

Then there are those who don't bend to anything hetero-normative and enter an alley that confuses them and everyone around. They have no expectations as long as it is not mainstream, they are okay with it. They don't probably believe in the concept of "couple" and would be "poly-amorous". They are experimental and take it as it goes. may be they could pave a way for a homo-normative lifestyle. but who knows.

The Brick -

They pretty much take no effort and expect everything to be handed over to them. They expect you to feed them, take care of them, make love to them, take them around and what not. simply because their only idea of romance is that between their mom and themselves. They burp, fart and crap, and that's all you can expect from them. Now, these people go well with the "too realistic" ones.

The confused -

I might pretty much fall under this category. I have no clue if I have to lead, or not. Whether I must be happy when I am taken out on a date or feel uncomfortable because I don't understand what he expects in return. When you want to have a hetero-normative life, but would rebel just a little, and then go "full on" romance mode, and lay like a brick later for someone to take care. Who talks realistically, but wishes for something idealistic.

Gimme booty -

These guys have no need for gay romance, and are very clear of one thing. Booty. They refrain from any kind of emotional bond and look for sex. Lets not forget how many guys are behind this one. Low maintenance guy, always horny. Nothing else matters to him. And for now, I guess this is what most men prefer.

May be when we see more gay couples around, proudly romancing each other, most of us can see them and take notes. May be we are not so different from straight couples, may be we are extremely different. May be the straight world is more confused than we are. But, it all comes to personal choices.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of a time

It's been so long since I wrote. But then when I see people read my blog, and say how much they relate. It compels me to write more. I thought that I don't have much to write anymore. Same old issues, same old stories. I even didn't want to write thinking that the issues I mentioned would probably dilute the matter with too many posts. But then I write today because something recently struck me hard. A conversation with a love interest who is looking for a partner, realized that I talked a lot about my previous love .Which I didn't know was so obvious. But I clearly didn't move on. After may be discussing for a whole hour, he asked if I am looking for a lover or a partner? Because you don't have much time until you spend time loving someone who may never be your partner. That's when I realized that I for all these years, haven't had a proper romance, and I am already out of that age. I am old enough to settle down and look for a partner, instead of

Walk of Shame

usually walk of shame happens when you have had sex with a total stranger, and you just regret to have done that while getting back home in the morning. But, to me it was different. Some few months back, I met this guy, he was really smart. well behaved and very talented. Mind you, I didn't meet him on any apps, but for work. Everytime he comes to work, he gives special attention to me, while other men "see", he "watches" me. While other man just touch, he "feels" me. He used to openly make it clear that he is there to see me and me only. I used to feel so special. But I never had the guts to reciprocate. Partly because the reputation he has for being a player. he is extremely smart, very soft spoken and has that charm. Girls fall for him so easy. I used act like I don't like him, but all my peers started noticing the attention I get from him. He talks only to me, the way he looks at me, how closely he stands, how he gets pissed if I have a figh

Shallow Shallow world

I must say that I honestly got into fitness because I got rejected from them all when I was young. How much ever I believed in love, I realized that at the end of the day in the gay world looks speak volume. From a fat ugly potato I trained. From a nerdy guy that I was I got into modelling. It was just recently that for a show I had to wear a loosely clad dhoti,and all those guys who used to  ignore me, especially this one accountant guy, who travels a lot, he and I used to text initially and then he seemed to be busy with all the other guys. Just after this, he starts to text and tell me that he is keen to meet. Well, not just him, there were many others who seemed to be behind, showing more interest. I remember how I kinda rejected to go behind these men who seem to be "hot" but extremely shallow, I wanted someone who would enjoy my company for who I am. Who would listen to what I think of the world, who would know my likes and dislikes. Who would want to spend time wi