Skip to main content

Homophobia Vs Femphobia

For many years, I feel that  we have been confused with the term "homophobia", because I realised that people aren't per se, "Homophobic". Femphobia is an issue that is around in the gay community itself. "I freeze when I see an effeminate guy", he said, while his male lover rests on his chest huddling after a session of coitus. This is essentially the difference between Homophobia and Femphobia.

I have a friend to whom I said that I have made out with men, and she was pretty chilled about it. Later out of curiosity she asks me for his pic. I show it to her and she goes "Eww, seriously? He looks like a girl, take it away from me". This is the difference between Homophobia and Femphobia, when it comes to the straight world.

While Homophobia is a fear of the sexual preference of the person, Femphobia is about the fear based on a person's appearance or behavior. They are totally fine whom you sleep with, as long as they don't want to hang out with him, if he is effeminate. I know a lot of Bisexuals that way, they sleep with each other, Call themselves "Best Friends", and no one bats an eye because they are "macho" about it. They want the other to have a girlfriend, get married, have children, all this while they meet to mate from time to time.

The same guy if he ends up meeting a slightly effeminate "emotional" guy, they would pretend to be straight and "brozone" him (guilty on this). I am no different. I have a friend who is effeminate and openly gay and I, like others, talk about him behind his back and tell them how "weird" he is.

From India to Mexico, Straight men can be homoerotic, They hug each other naked, sleep cuddling each other, kiss when they are drunk, say "I love you" to each other, they might even share more and spend more time with each other, than their wives. People who know them or see them don't bat an eye. They are completely okay with it. But one single guy who is effeminate walks by, and none would be okay with that. I could go flirt with a guy and he might not mind, may be even laugh it off, but if an effeminate guy just touches them (even girls) cringe.

 Now that is what makes me wonder if anyone except may be the wife or parents of a person really care about whom the guy is sleeping with? does anyone else really mind if the guys sleep with each other? Are we even actually homophobic?

May be its time we understand the difference on work on it. The change, though, starts with us. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

End of a time

It's been so long since I wrote. But then when I see people read my blog, and say how much they relate. It compels me to write more. I thought that I don't have much to write anymore. Same old issues, same old stories. I even didn't want to write thinking that the issues I mentioned would probably dilute the matter with too many posts. But then I write today because something recently struck me hard. A conversation with a love interest who is looking for a partner, realized that I talked a lot about my previous love .Which I didn't know was so obvious. But I clearly didn't move on. After may be discussing for a whole hour, he asked if I am looking for a lover or a partner? Because you don't have much time until you spend time loving someone who may never be your partner. That's when I realized that I for all these years, haven't had a proper romance, and I am already out of that age. I am old enough to settle down and look for a partner, instead of

Walk of Shame

usually walk of shame happens when you have had sex with a total stranger, and you just regret to have done that while getting back home in the morning. But, to me it was different. Some few months back, I met this guy, he was really smart. well behaved and very talented. Mind you, I didn't meet him on any apps, but for work. Everytime he comes to work, he gives special attention to me, while other men "see", he "watches" me. While other man just touch, he "feels" me. He used to openly make it clear that he is there to see me and me only. I used to feel so special. But I never had the guts to reciprocate. Partly because the reputation he has for being a player. he is extremely smart, very soft spoken and has that charm. Girls fall for him so easy. I used act like I don't like him, but all my peers started noticing the attention I get from him. He talks only to me, the way he looks at me, how closely he stands, how he gets pissed if I have a figh

Being Married

When you really connect with someone who is going to get married and has a fiance, and he says "if only had we met before", isn't something you just take. I was adviced by more than couple of gay friends and Bi friends who said that Gay relationships are not trust worthy, that you should get married and settled down with a girl. At this juncture in life, marriage is a long way to go, yet, those of you who like you, love you and care for you being married or engaged doesn't give a great feeling about it. Things that I feel when a gay guy gets married. Its a Sham - A couple of guys have approached me that I be their "partner", while they are married. I honestly felt bad for the girl. While she exclusively loves him and waits for him to give her attention, he goes around with guys or a guy, to quench his thirst, sexually or otherwise. Being taken for granted - It feels like that one guy is taking the girl for granted, that she deserves only this and no